Johanna Siguroardottir becomes the first openly gay head of government
Archived from the original on 5 September Forbes listed her among the most powerful women in the world. Virgin Islands repeals its sodomy laws.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- In , she unsuccessfully contested the leadership of the Social Democratic Party. The process continued in the election of 25 people of no political affiliation on 26 October
- Politics N. Retrieved 17 October
- Retrieved 13 October
- South Africa repeals its sodomy laws. San Francisco begins issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples in California but is stopped one month later by court order.
- Many Icelanders now blame Mr. Australia records its first hanging for sodomy and the executions reach their peak in the s.
- Archived from the original on 1 October
- On the island of Lesbos in Greece, Sappho becomes highly regarded as a female poet and writes many poems speaking of love and infatuation between women. A German translation is published by Richard Schmidt in
- Ludwig II, widely believed to be homosexual, becomes a popular albeit eccentric king of Bavaria.
- Hirschfeld speaks before a Berlin crowd of five thousand, calling for the repeal of Paragraph
Because the crisis hit earlier and more drastically than elsewhere, and in a small, vulnerable nation that has known little economic or political upheaval, Iceland has found itself, unusually, a focal point of international attention. Aftenposten in Norwegian. Archived from the original on 22 January Views Read Edit View history.
At 36, she was elected to Parliament.